First-time moms often wonder what their baby needs, which can get overwhelming. There are so many baby products on the market, which may lead you to believe you need all of them. The good news is your list of must-have baby items is shorter than retailers would have you believe. Use this list as a guide to help you sift through the necessities and the baby items you don't particularly need.
First on our list is a must-have baby item that likely goes without saying. With a newborn, you will go through several diapers a day. You can choose from disposable or cloth (the latter being much better for the environment). To make your baby's diaper experience more comfortable, don't forget to purchase baby wipes and diaper rash cream to block moisture and prevent (and treat) rashes.
First-time moms agree that shopping for baby clothes is fun and rewarding. Look for clothes that are comfortable, soft, and durable. Whether you wish to spend a lot on baby clothes is up to you, but if deciding between fashion and function, the latter is always the best choice.
Safe Sleeping Products
Safe sleeping products will prevent sudden accidents, so it's crucial to ensure a potective sleeping environment for your newborn. We recommend investing in the following items:
- Reliable crib and crib mattress: Once your baby graduates from his bassinet, it is time to place him in a durable crib with chemical-free construction. Don't forget to buy a firm crib mattress to ensure safe sleep and support growing bones.
- Baby Swaddles: Newborns love a comfortable swaddle, so make sure to have a few secure baby swaddles with enough wiggle room.
- Bedding: When it comes to bedding, our approach is to stick with simplicity. Avoid bumpers, pillows, quilts, and soft blankets in bedding sets, as these can cause sleep-related infant deaths. Instead, opt for fitted crib shits and a few crib mattress pads.
- Baby monitor: Know what your baby is doing at all times with a high-tech video monitor.
Baby Body Wash
Babies don't need daily baths, but when bathtime comes, treat them to the safest and gentlest products for their skin. We recommend a no-tear body wash, such as the HoneyB Kids Baby Body Wash, infused with soothing ingredients for your baby's delicate skin. We also recommend looking at the ingredients carefully and avoid products containing parabens, phthalates, and dyes. Try the Baby Body Wash + Moisturizing Lotion Duo to follow his wash with a nourishing, luxuruous lotion to prevent moisture loss.
Before your little one begins to explore, baby proof your home to prevent accidents. Must-have items to protect your baby include:
- Gates: Even if you don't have stairs, gates can protect your baby from potentially harmfully areas of the house.
- Latches: Cupboards and drawers must be protected with safety latches. Don't stop there. Make sure to lock your toilet seats, too. You don't want to leave anything to chance.
- Outlet covers: As your little one learns to crawl, all objects within reach will intice his curiosity, including outlets. Prevent accidents with affordable outlet covers that either swing or slide shut.
As you can see, there are only a few must-have baby items, while the rest is "would like to have" items. Use this list as a launching point to prepare yourself, your home and protect your newborn.